Monday, November 18, 2013

Autumn In America

Ah, Autumn. It's my favorite time of year.

Spending the season here in the US. I was scheduled to be in the UK from September through the new year, but health issues have forced me to remain close to doctors. I am hoping to be able to make it to London by the second week of December.

The temperature isn't particularly cool this year. September gave the impression of a very early Autumn with temperatures dropping. But in early October, the temperature rose a bit and it has remained rather moderate... until the past 3 days. It is finally starting to feel like Autumn.

Regardless of the moderate temperatures, I have been enjoying the traditional foods of the season. I can't seem to get enough pumpkin into my system. A problem I welcome every year.

Nature naturally fluctuates. It cycles in small ways and in large, not only in temperature trends, but in every way. This year, one could say, is "the year of the mouse".

The mouse population is especially large this year. They are everywhere. The hardware stores can't seem to keep a supply of traps on hand. From a distance in the large hardware stores, you can always see a cluster of folks standing in front of the shelf that has the vermin eradication products.

I live next to an open land space, so my property has its share of this years' mousey trend. They are big, they are fat, they are brave, and they are sassy.

I am lucky in the respect that, unlike so many others this year, they have not invaded my house. This may be due to having an abundance of food sources outside. But they are everywhere on my property and completely unafraid of me; which is a little disconcerting.

They are, however, quite fearful of the hawk and owl population. I think the natural predators have been much more successful than I have been in reducing their numbers. I know this because most mornings of the week, there are fresh owl pellets on the deck to greet me. My level of joy regarding their assistance is somewhat tempered by the disgust I feel when I clean up the pellets.

Thanksgiving is much later this year and has made the month feel longer. I like that. I love Thanksgiving; a holiday that is about cooking fabulous food, eating it, and having serious leisure time for 4 days. It's all about reading, playing computer games, watching movies, and napping in front of the fire. It very well could be the smartest thing America has going for it.

On Thanksgiving Friday, I get my Christmas tree and I start listening to, and singing, Christmas music. But until then, it's Autumn. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment