Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Self-Marketing

After having had a few days off in a row, I spent my Sunday in San Francisco learning how to market myself.

I knew that I didn't have much of a clue regarding the how-to's of marketing a human being. I knew that marketing was extremely important and I assumed that the truly famous hired firms to manage that aspect of their careers. One of the many important things that I didn't know is that even when you aren't famous, there is still an immense amount of marketing to be done, and if you don't have enough money to hire a firm, you have to do it all yourself.

Self-marketing is a full time job all by itself.

By the time I was half-way through the day, I began to wonder how it would be possible to actually do all that was required to successfully market myself, while practising, going to rehearsals, arranging music, composing music, recording music, being in 5 performing ensembles, and sleeping.

I'm not sure it is.

But I can see how good marketing can pretty much make a career. So, I am going to select the key items and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment